i–Walk: Intelligent Robotic Walker for mobility and cognitive assistance of elderly and motor-impaired people
About the Project
The i-Walk project aims at developing and testing a new pioneering robotic system that will provide a range of mobility and cognitive support functions for people that face different degrees of mobility and cognitive problems.
In this project, the following methodologies will be developed and synergistically utilized: (a) processing of multi-sensory and physiological signals and identification of actions for the monitoring, analysis and prediction of human gait and other actions of the user, (b) behavioral and user-adaptive robot control and autonomous robot navigation for the dynamic approach of the user and the interactive co-occurrence combined also with voice guidance; (c) human-robot communication, including speech synthesis and recognition technologies and a virtual assistant (avatar) to enhance the naturalness of communication
- WP1: User needs and clinical evaluation
- T1.1: User needs
- T1.2: Data collection and annotation
- T1.3: Clinical evaluation
- WP2. Processing and Recognition of MultiSensory Signals
- T2.1: Gait tracking and analysis using laser sensors
- T2.2: Visual Sensing, Human Tracking, and Action Recognition
- T2.3: Voice Command Recognition
- T2.4: Smart sensors for tracking and processing of physiological signals
- WP3. Control and motion planning of robotic platform
- T3.1: Control of autonomous motion of robotic platform
- T3.2: Robotic navigation
- T3.3: Human robot interaction control and user mobility assistance functionality
- WP4 Human-Machine Interaction
- T4.1: Human-Machine Interaction Design
- T4.2: Dialog management
- T4.3: Interaction via voice
- WP5. Robotic Platform Design and Implementation of Integrated System
- T5.1: Needs analysis and design of robotic platform parameters
- T5.2: Design and implementation of platform hardware
- T5.3: Design and implementation of platform software
- WP6: Commercial exploitation of results
|Institute of Communication and Computer Systems, National Technical University of Athens, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Intelligent Robotics and Automation Laborator, Greece|
P.I. & Scientific Director: Prof. Petros Maragos
Assoc. Prof. Costas Tzafestas
Dr. George Moustris
|Institute for Language and Speech Processing|
Athena Research and Innovation Center
P.I.: Dr. Stavroula-Evita Fotinea
|Diaplasis Rehabilitation Center S.A., Greece|
P.I.: Dr. Alexandra Karavasili
P.I.: Nikolaos Papastamatiou
- Georgia Chalvatzaki, Petros Koutras, Jack Hadfield, Xanthi S. Papageorgiou, Costas S. Tzafestas, Petros Maragos “On-line Human Gait Stability Prediction using LSTMs for the fusion of Deep-based Pose Estimation and LRF-based Augmented Gait State Estimation in an Intelligent Robotic Rollator”, IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation (ICRA) 2019, 20-24 May, Montreal Canada
- Georgia Chalvatzaki, Xanthi S. Papageorgiou, Costas S. Tzafestas, Petros Maragos, “Learn to adapt to human walking: A Model-based Reinforcement Learning Approach for a Robotic Assistant Rollator”, IEEE Robotics & Automation Letters with IROS 2019 option.
- Georgia Chalvatzaki, Xanthi S. Papageorgiou, Petros Maragos, Costas S. Tzafestas “Comparing the Impact of Robotic Rollator Control Schemes on Elderly Gait using on-line LRF-based Gait Analysis”, A Workshop on Mobile Robot Assistants for the Elderly (MoRobAE) in 2019 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Montreal, Canada.
- Xanthi S. Papageorgiou, Georgia Chalvatzaki, Eleni Efthimiou, Stavroula-Evita Fotinea, Alexandra Karavasili, Costas Tzafestas, Petros Maragos, Anna Vacalopoulou and Theodore Goulas, “User Centered HRI Design for an Intelligent Robotic Rollator”, A Workshop on Mobile Robot Assistants for the Elderly (MoRobAE) in 2019 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Montreal, Canada.
- Antigoni Tsiami, Petros Koutras, Athanasios Katsamanis, Argiro Vatakis, Maragos, Petros, “A behaviorally inspired fusion approach for computational audiovisual saliency modeling”, Signal Processing: Image Communication, 76 , pp. 186 – 200, 2019
- Petros Koutras, Petros Maragos, “SUSiNet: See, Understand and Summarize it.” In Proc CVPR. Workshops 2019, California, CA.
- E. Efthimiou, X. Papageorgiou, S-E. Fotinea, A. Karavasili, A. Vacalopoulou, T. Goulas. “User Centered Design in Practice – Adapting HRI to Real User Needs”, Proc. PETRA 2019, Island of Rhodes, Greece, June 2019.
Upcoming dissemination activities:
- ICCS plans to present i-Walk results in IROS2019, Nov. 2019, Macau, China
Pas dissemination activities:
- I-Walk Demo Presented in ICIP 2019:
- P. Koutras, G. Chalvatzaki , A. Tsiami, A. Nikolakakis, C. S. Tzafestas, and P. Maragos,“Video Processing and Learning in Assistive Robotic Applications”, Demo in ICIP 2019, Taipei, Taiwan, Sep. 2019.
- Presentation of achieved results at conferences and workshops
- 20-24 May 2019: ICCS and ILSP/Athena RC participated in ICRA 2019 and ICRA 2019 Workshop and presented i-Walk results.
- 5-7 June 2019: ILSP/Athena RC participated in PETRA 2019 and presented i-Walk results.
- 16-20 June 2019: ICCS participated in CVPR 2019 and presented i-Walk results.
- 22-25 September 2019: ICCS participated in ICIP 2019 and presented i-Walk results (demo).
- Invited talks:
- P. Maragos, ” Multisensory Video Processing and Learning For Human-Robot Interaction “, Invited Talk at the National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, Sep 2019.
AIC 2019: ILSP/Athena RC gave a key-note speech to Robotics and Artificial Intelligence Conference 2019, 23-25 May 2019, Vienna, Austria:
Speaker: Eleni Efthimiou
Title: Increasing user acceptance by augmented robot intelligence: the lesson we got from the semantics of human communication
- Petra 2019: ILSP/Athena RC organized a workshop titled “AR4U Workshop: The 2nd Workshop on Assistive Robots: Technological Challenges and the User Perspective”, in the context of the 12th PErvasive Technologies Related to Assistive Environments (PETRA) conference, held on the Island of Rhodes, Greece, June 5-7, 2019. Workshop link: http://www.petrae.org/workshops/AR.html
- ILSP/Athena RC demonstrated i-Walk in the 84th International Expo of Thessaloniki, Greece 7 Sep- 15 Sep 2019.
- ICIP 2019: ICCS presented an i-Walk related tutorial at ICIP2019, 22-25 September 2019, Taipei, Taiwan:
Tutorial Title: Multisensory Video Processing and Learning For Human-Robot Interaction
Tutorial Presenters: Petros Maragos, Petros Koutras
- ILSP/Athena RC and ICCS demonstrated i-Walk in the European Researchers’ Night 2019.
ICCS plans to present i-Walk results in IROS2019, Nov. 2019, Macau, China!